Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Boston Marathon



I never ran the Boston Marathon, but would love to someday. As I blog about preparing for a marathon one of the most famous marathon's is bombed. I just can't imagine who would have done something like that to a marathon, let alone any sporting event.
Marathons promote health and fitness. In San Francisco we have the Bay to Breakers which is a spectacle that any tourist would never forget. People run naked, in costumes, with small homemade vehicles, and joined together in long dragons. It's insane, and so much fun. If someone was to do something like that to such a wild event, I just can't imagine. Of course, I could never imagine a bomb going off at any marathon. The Boston marathon, is the oldest in the country, and one of the best known in the world. People come from all over to run it, either professionally, for an accomplishment, or just because.
The day of the bombing, I was going to run, but opted to run stairs in the local mall. It's been really windy and cold here. The cold isn't the problem, but the crazy wind makes runny unpleasant. I went in doors, and ran up and down the large staircases, and along the walk ways until the stores opened. Security knows me, and lets me run, until 10am. From there I can run the stairs, but not in the common areas. I appreciate them for being so understanding and kind about it. I left the mall, and went to my favorite PHO' place for soup, and back to my son's, to work on the computer until it was time to pick up the kids. It was a ordinary day, doing ordinary things, until I turned on the television. The day I ran stairs, others ran the marathon and experience something that will alter their life forever.
No one knows who did this. If the FBI, ATF or President do, they are keeping quiet. It could of been a number of things, but I think it was a homegrown terrorist with a axe to grind with either the government, or someone specifically. It's a attention getter and right in line with some lone wolf nutcase. Whoever, it was it was meant to wound and maim, rather than kill. Although, it did kill.
I will continue to talk about running, training getting ready for a marathon. I'm not going to let anyone take away my freedom to do what I love, by way of psychological fear. Tomorrow morning, the plan is to get up early and run 4 miles, than back to my son's, get the kids ready for school and head home. It will be in honor of those who were so horribly wounded, and for a little 8yr old boy who lost his life.No one is going to take this away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment